A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

27015399

Kingmaker Chronicles #1

Rating: A

Summary:
Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.

Review:
So, I originally heard about this from my favorite romance review website, Smart Bitches Trashy Books. I have to admit that if they even mention a book on their website, I tend to give it a try and they have not steered me wrong yet.
This novel was no exception. I was immediately drawn into the story by the character of Cat who is tough, feisty, and mysterious. She obviously has a lot of drama in her background which effects her, but does not stop her from doing what she believes is right. 
In my past reviews, I've felt at a loss on what exactly to say. I still sometimes feel this loss, but I've decided to do what I do best - make lists. In this case I'm going to tell you my top 3 favorite things from this book and the top 3 sucky things from this novel. 

Obviously, since I am giving this novel an A, the top 3 pros weighed heavier for me. I could probably list much more than 3 pros, but to keep this more realistic, I've set a limit. Here goes.

Top 3 Pros (In no particular order)"
1. Griffin, aka Beta Sinta. Griffin is our hero, and oh what a hero he is. From the very beginning, we get the vibe he is an alpha hero. This is very true, but unlike many alpha heroes I've been reading lately, Griffin is much more understanding and calm towards Cat than one would expect.

Griffin steals Cat from her job at the circus after finding out that she has some rare special powers that he values. Cat is obviously upset with this turn of events and she takes it out on Griffin for basically the first two thirds of the book. Griffin, being an alpha male, could have treated Cat rather poorly. Oftentimes I've noticed authors have a tendency to make their character's alpha males, but they really are just alpha assholes. Griffin is courteous to Cat. He tries hard to make her see that he won't hurt her, that he needs her help, that he is willing to be kind to her if she will just help him in return. Now, yes, kidnapping is bad, but all things considered I would not complain about being kidnapped by Griffin.

I found myself craving more scenes with Griffin in them, just because he was so sweet and compelling. He's protective of those around him, he's very caring towards his family and his citizens. He is overall, a lovable hero. Plus, from descriptions of him I was getting a distinctly Jason Momoa vibe, and as anyone who knows me will tell you, he is my cup of tea.

Jason Momoa looking rakishly handsome
He even has the same scar through his eyebrow as Griffin is described as having!

2. The slow burn romance. I am not always a patient person. Often if a romance has too slow of a burn, I lose interest quickly. However, the characters are so well developed during the slow burn of the romance that I didn't feel like I was having to wait for anything. Instead, I was slowly being shown more of why these characters are reacting the way they are and seeing a more realistic love story. 
It wouldn't have made sense for Cat to immediately fall into bed with Beta Sinta. She was kidnapped! She's a tough, independent woman who don't need ANYONE. She is just not that kind of character. So getting to read about Griffin making his way into her mind and heart was even more sweet because it wasn't rushed.

3. The side characters. I'm not sure if it is in the plans for their to be any spin-offs in this series, but I would absolutely devour a novel about any of the side characters. 
To begin with, we have Beta Team - Griffin's closest friends and teammates in his army. Flynn (who I am hoping will continue on the already blossoming relationship that begins in this novel) Kato and Carver. All three guys immediately accept Cat into their fold. They become the brothers she wishes she had and, to be honest, they're the brothers I wish I had as well!

When Cat has nightmares and screams out at night, Flynn and Kato are described as "tackling" her and "petting her head" until she feels better again. Could they be any cuter? Well, guess what - they are cuter throughout the entire thing! 
There needs to be at least a Kato and Carver spin-off! Please?

3 Dislikes (In no particular order):
1. Cat's stubbornness. As I said earlier, I love Griffin. I love Beta Team. I love almost everyone in this book. I also love Cat. However, Cat spends the first 70% of the book being a huge whiney buttmunch! Yes, she was kidnapped. That sucks. However, they treat her like family. They provide her with whatever she could want. Even when she is no longer being forced to stay and is CHOOSING to stay, she still complains about how they kidnapped her. 
Cat... You are free to go! Stop complaining or leave! << This was my mantra for almost 300 pages.

As I said, there is a lot of character development, so I did eventually see why Cat felt she needed to keep her distance, but it still just kept taking me out of the story in a way that was frustrating.

2. The unanswered questions.
I know this is a series. The second book is already out and the third is scheduled for next year. I understand this will mean there are some loose threads. However, I felt that there were things Cat mentioned throughout the entire novel that she didn't want to tell Griffin, but I didn't know what they were either! I am hoping for more clarity in future books, but I feel that part of the confusion comes from the world building. 
Obviously, the characters believe in Magic and Gods. Cat mentions throughout that Poseidon is her "God Father" and that Hades is her best friend's lover. However, I felt like there were things that were just not explained given the world building of a first novel.
Hopefully, this will be cleared up in future novels.

3. How long I have to wait for the third one.
I still have to read the second one, so I know I'm jumping the gun. However, I'm already very invested in this couple so I'm not looking forward to finishing the second and having to wait at least 4 more months for the next one. It might be even longer than that!
As I said above, I am not a patient person.

Anyways, I would recommend this book for lovers of romance, fantasy world building, and kick-ass heroines with alpha heroes. 

Happy reading!
Abby


Comments

Popular Posts