Assistant Librarian Observations

Hey there fellow readers!

I'm pretty sure that at this point, I'm still just writing to myself. I tried thinking of all the book review blogs that I like to read and what about them drew me in.

For the most part, they are funny/witty. They put their own spin on things that resonates within me. I'm not sure how to find that voice inside myself yet. It's hiding.

They also have their own personal take thrown into just the basic summaries. They have whole posts that don't revolve around books, but that pull me in.

So today, since I am in a reading funk and not sure what I want to say about the stuff I've been reading, I will give you my observations from my new position as assistant librarian.


via GIPHY

It's the end of week two here among the wild species known as the public librarian. I ran out of things that I could do from the reference desk approximately two hours ago. (We opened at 9 am, which means I ran out of things to do an hour after opening.)
My dad taught me that when you are at work, they are paying you to give your employers your best. So I try really hard to come up with things for myself to do. I counted all of the graphic novels we had that could work for an upcoming book display. I checked the paper trays in the printers to see if they needed refilling. I cleaned the white boards in all the study rooms until they were shiny and white.
Earlier this week, I even made a spreadsheet of all of the library books I currently have checked out. (In case you were wondering it's 142 total books. 2 of which I for sure can't find. 14 of which I plan on returning today.)

I am telling you all of this so that you know it is not with a light heart that I have taken to randomly blogging during my time here. The problem is that I am on duty with a full-on librarian. I can see her now across the expanse I like to call Adult zone-out plains. There are 10 computers and several comfy chairs for the Adults to use for their comfort and zone-out needs.
She is typing furiously at her computer. I can only assume she either is working on very important library work, or like me she is typing to pass the time.

I suppose I hope it is the former because someone should be getting work done here. However, if it is the latter, at least I am not alone in being a slacker.

When I used to work in circulation, I was used to being constantly busy. When I had the chance to sit at a computer it was like a treat that only came at special times of the day. Now that I get to sit all day long at a computer, I enjoy it, but I am not sure what to do with the extra time.

I know I could ask Manager Librarian for more to do, but the problem is that I have things to do. They just need off-desk time. Asking for too much else to do might become the worst decision I have ever made. I used to ask Manager of Circulation for extra things to do and he'd just say "No. I have nothing else. Go shelve kids books." I have learned from this mistake. Shelving little kids books is a form of torture I would not wish on my worst enemy. They are so small. There are too many of them. As you go down the line shelving, little kids happily undo all of your hard work right behind you just because they like the way the books look on the floor.


via GIPHY

I happen to be friends with many in the Little Kid Domain and I have to say they are much more resilient and strong than anyone gives them credit for. Having to clean up that area at the end of the day, every day, is something only saints could put up with.

Up here in Adult Zone-Out Plains, we get our own kind of shenanigans. Luckily, they mostly revolve around reference questions or computer usage and not unidentified stains on carpeting or books. Usually...

My goal in life was to someday get my masters and become a full-fledged librarian. I am starting to wonder if that will be much different from my current life. Sure, I'd have full time hours and benefits. Sure, I'd get to have the status symbol of "Librarian." But, the librarian across the way may just be writing in her own blog. So who's to say my life would really change? Unless she's solving the great questions and conundrums of the world with her sweet reference skillz. Hmmm... more research is needed.


In any case, it's Friday!
Have a drink, kick back, and enjoy your weekend!

~Abby~

Comments

Popular Posts